The collaboration kit includes tools to assist the classroom teacher in establishing a cooperative environment within the classroom. The kit includes four simple tools compatible in any grade level and any content area. They are described in more detail in the materials section below.
Outcomes as a result of Classroom Collaboration:
This file will detail the use of this kit within the classroom as described on this website.
- Collaboration Technique Cards
- This book is a compilation of collaborative techniques used in the classroom. With minor adjustments each one can be used with kindergarten through high school. Each example includes the guidance and structure for the conversation being held in the classroom. All of the cards list supplies needed and explain the background needed necessary to complete the collaboration.
- Student Sorting Sticks
- Randomizing sorting of students for collaboration will set a standard in the classroom that all students will work with every student during class time. These sticks will allow teachers to sort students in 7 different ways, based on how the teacher presets the sticks before the students select them. (The sticks come with instructions on how to do this.)
- Role Identifier Cards
- One Master and One set of 7 Multi-color cards
- The students have roles or “jobs” within the collaborative groups that give them purpose and direction within the group. No one person is in charge and all members have an equal voice within the group. The cards give the teacher a way to start using this tool quickly.
- Collaborative Guide/Collegial Discussion Card
- These guides will assist teachers with planning and answer some questions that are often asked when starting this process. The collegial conversation side also includes some “sentence stems” to help teachers guide students to begin learning “how” to talk within a group. Building on how to construct an argument and how to disagree is something our students might now know how to form the proper sentences.
Each item within the kit can be downloaded and printed by selecting the icon or file name you wish to download.